Friday, January 9, 2009

Smoking

I wanted to wait a week before I wrote about this, but on Jan. 2nd 2009 at 11:11am I finally quit smoking.

The first three days were the hardest. The withdrawal part is now over. The only issue I continue to have is the habit itself. For example when I first wake up in the morning or when I start my car I feel the need to light a cigarette. That feeling will pass in time.

One thing I do not have is the need to have something in my mouth. People keep saying stuff like carrot sticks, lollipops, etc etc... that is not helpful in my situation because it was never about an oral fixation with me...I just wanted the drug.

Here is how I quit. I decided while smoking a cigarette that morning that I really no longer wanted to be a smoker. I went to the pharmacy, bought a box of "step 2" patches (14 mg), came home, smoked one last cigarette and stuck a patch on.

I only used one patch to get me through the first 24 hours and went cold turkey after that.

One promise I am making to myself. I will never become one of those annoying ex-smokers that end up lecturing everyone about quitting.

So do I feel better? Well it has only been a week. So far I have noticed my morning breath is a lot better, my gums do not bleed as easily, my gums are also turning pink. I have also noticed that I am sleeping deeper.

Anyway I just wanted to write a short blog about that. :-)

No comments: